10 Mar Borough Meeting Highlights 03-05-2021
Dear West Wildwood Neighbors,
The third monthly borough meeting of 2021 was held on Friday, March 5th at 7:00 pm via Zoom and approximately 25 individuals attended. Mayor Ksiazek, Commissioners Banning and Segrest, Municipal Clerk Donna Frederick, Deputy Clerk Carl O’Hala and Solicitor Lyons were present.
Notification was received from the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) regarding the issuance of a permit for 28 Lake Road to construct a fixed pier, ramp and floating dock.
The second reading of Ordinance #587(2021) was read relating to land development. Public comment was allowed. Several ordinances were introduced and approved relating to housekeeping matters, Fair Share Housing, hiring a flood plain manager, etc. Please refer to the borough website for a full list or ordinances and resolutions.
The commissioners provided department reports and are available upon request.
Mayor Ksiazek reported on public works activity.
Commissioner Segrest is assisting with the preparation of the 2021 budget. Each department has submitted their budget requests. A review of the 2021 budget should be available at the Tuesday, March 30th workshop meeting and he expects the budget will be approved at the Thursday, April 1st regular borough meeting. Please note the meeting is on Thursday due to Good Friday holiday. The commissioner indicated the 2021 budget will be impacted by lower surplus funds ($400,000 in 2020 vs $300,000 in 2021) and lower other non-tax revenues including permits, fees, etc. At this point, a capital plan is unavailable.
Commissioner Banning reported on the police department activity. Residents will be asked to have house numbers clearly visible on their homes. Also, the manner in which house checks are conducted will change. Previously, it was a random process. Homeowners will now have to request house checks during periods of vacancy by going onto the borough’s website and completing a request form. If you do not have access to a computer you can stop by the borough office.
Public comments included the following:
1. Questions related to the 2021 budgeted salaries and wages.
A significant amount of the payroll increases was set by the previous administration effective on December 17, 2020. The Chief of Police and police department salary increases were included in their new contracts, also passed by the previous administration. These updates have set the salaries for 2021 and the future. There was also a discussion regarding the timing of the salary ordinance, which was updated in January, 2021.
2. A resident commented on the ongoing sewer construction project on Poplar Avenue. At times, access to homes is blocked when not necessary and the job site seems to be messy. Laborer oversight was questioned. Mayor Ksiazek plans to meet with the engineering firm to discuss these comments again.
3. Mayor Ksiazek said conversations continue with regulatory agencies and the new owners of the 26th Street lot regarding The Living Shoreline project.
4. The West Wildwood School Board meeting will be held on Monday, March 8th to discuss the possibility of West Wildwood’s K-8 school age children attending Wildwood City schools at a cost savings to the borough. It will be an in-person meeting only.
5. Solicitor Lyons reported the contracts signed during the last couple months of the previous administration are being reviewed with a focus on protecting the borough taxpayers. The process has been finished on most contracts due to limited options available to the borough. He could not say if any of the contracts will be challenged.
6. A resident commented on the improved appearance of the borough which was previously discussed during the February meeting.
We urge you to listen to the audio from the meeting to have a better understanding of actual comments which is available on our website. These highlights are also available on our website at https://ctwww.org/borough-meeting-highlights-03-05-2021/
The CTWWW Advisory Council
Trish Sinnott – President
Mary Anne Welsh – Secretary
Jim Bannan – Director
Susan Czwalina – Treasurer
Vacant – Director
Vacant – Director
Vacant – Director